American Express and FaceBook are promoting Small Business Saturday on November 27th in an effort to get consumers out to our local stores and strengthen the backbone of our economy. LITweetUP is doing what we can to help our Long Island Small Businesses. More details after the video.
According to the Facebook page:
“First there was Black Friday, then Cyber Monday. This year, November 27th is the first ever Small Business Saturday, a day to support the local businesses that create jobs, boost the economy and preserve neighborhoods around the country. Small Business Saturday is a national movement to drive shoppers to local merchants across the U.S.”
Unfortunately, this doesn’t seem to have been well promoted on Long Island (the capital of Small Business in my opinion!) so this only came to our attention late last week. We’ve put together a small team of a few of Long Island best (professionals in the fields of Writing, Social Media and Advertising) and came up with a quickie plan.
- On Thursday November 18th at 6pm we will be getting together with as many business owners as we can get to (and handle based on our numbers) in 2 locations, one in Suffolk and one in Nassau. The locations are TBD. See the Free Help or Small Business tab for more.
- A few of us have friends in local media and we’re reaching out to them to let them know about #SmallBizSat and that we’re trying to do something to help out.
- We’re reaching out to any Chambers of Commerce we can to let them know about the potential benefits this could have for our small businesses.
- We will be tapping our own networks to promote this day and encouraging people to Shop Small on 11/27.
Facebook is giving small business owners $100 in free advertising with a deadline of Thursday November 18th at midnight. Our goal is to spend some time with business owners on Thursday night and help them take advantage of this in preparation for #SmallBizSat. We will all be donating our time.
- We’ll be limiting it to 3 business owners per team member and doing a shortened Social School session. Would you like to come, let me know in the comments.
- Each business owner should bring along a laptop.
- We will walk you thru setting up your FB ad and / or FB Deal
- For those that can’t make it, one or more of our team members will post a free walk thru online. I’ll link to it from here.
Here are the members of this awesome team. Please check them out, they are some of Long Island’s finest!
Angelina Simms @angelinasimms
Constance Korol @constancek
George Torres @urbanjibaro
Louise DiCarlo @lovelylu
Manny Velasquez-Paredes LinkedIn
Meg Heckman @ruleyourday
Nathan King @nathanrking
Pete Shelly @peteshelly
Sueanne Shirzay @sueanneshirzay
Jeff Namnum @namnum @socialschoolli